As you prepare to stage your home for sale, keep in mind that it will be viewed online first. Buyers want to see your house, not your stuff, both in photos and in person. Too much furniture or furniture that is too large for the space will make your home appear smaller, darker and not as desirable.
Let’s go room by room and discuss essential items. Remember the size of the room matters. If any room is on the small side reduce the list of items below accordingly.
- Front porch: two chairs with side table if the size it appropriate; if not then a decorative item with a welcome mat.
- Entry: if large enough leave an entry table or hall tree
- Living room: sofa, love seat, side chair, coffee table, side table, entertainment center
- Dining room: size appropriate table with chairs, side board
- Home office: desk, chair, bookshelf, filing cabinet
- Master bedroom: bed, side table(s), chest of drawers, dresser
- Secondary bedrooms: size appropriate bed, side table, dresser OR chest of drawers.
- Back porch: size appropriate patio furniture.